Thursday, August 6, 2009

Mauer Park Flea Market


Busking in Mauer Park. It seemed like a good tip at the time. Until we arrived at the park late and discovered that all the good busking spots had already been claimed. There had to be at least ten musicians spread out along the thorough way. Some were amplified and performed as a band (and were quite good, I might add) and some were lone crooners. We gave up after 20 min. There was just no way we could compete with a five piece amplified funk/punk band.
The day wasn’t a total bust, though. The Mauer park flea market was a kaleidoscope of clothes, house wares, gadgets, food stalls, and miscellaneous craziness. I was in heaven. My only purchase, however, was a vintage key with my lucky number three engraved on it. I bought it for 50 cents. The key reminded me of my friend, Mei, who has about 30 or so vintage keys. Mei and I used to live together. The keys for the locks on the inside doors had long been lost, but Mei discovered that she had a skeleton key that fit all the locks in our house. I think she really loved having the power to lock us all in our rooms if she ever so wished (but she loves me, so she never did!).
Of course, I have to comment on the food. I always have to comment on the food. Anyone who knows me knows that I love to eat. And eat and eat and eat. San Francisco dining has made me a food snob, too, so when I can find quality food, it makes me oh so happy. At the Mauer Park flea market, I felt like I could orgasm just from the smells coming from the food stalls. Part of that may have to do with the fact that I don’t eat meat, but I love the smell of it. My mouth only waters more knowing that I can’t have it (or I could, but it’s not worth the guilt or the stomach ache). There was every kind of “wurst” you could think of. All sizzling and popping on the grills. Mmm, and freshly grilled corn on the cob. The smoke from all the BBQs that people had brought with them to use for their picnics in the middle of the park definitely added to the delicious smelling fumes. I think I need to go BBQ something right now!

1 comment:

growmoney said...

hi jaz love your blog,love dad

Post a Comment